“Muyuna Amazon Lodge offers a selection of flexible itineraries, for individuals or groups, to the heart of the Amazonian rainforest. They will also tailor make packages for groups with specific interests.”
Muyuna Amazon Lodge is situated some 84 miles from the jungle city of Iquitos, and is reached by a speed boat journey up the upper Amazon river.
Muyuna is located in the Yanayacu River that means "black water" (in Quechua-Inca's language), because of the darkness given by the minerals that it brings from the highlands. The ten lakes that are around Muyuna also have black water, making easier the fishing and bird watching excursions.
The Muyuna Lodge can receive up to 50 people in only 17 bungalows of two, three, four or six beds. They have their private bathroom with modern tiles, comfortable big beds and a walk-in-closet. The illumination is made by the use of kerosene lamps. Each bungalow is hermetically protected by a mosquito net and has a terrace with its own hammock facing the river, where is possible to watch Dolphins as well as fish in the river's flood times.
At Muyuna there is a huge range of activities on offer and all are guided by local experts. They include the following:
• Walks in the rainforest to find out the many medicinal uses of the plants, including cures for headaches, stomach aches, arthritis and even cancer.
• Walks in the rainforest in search of many species of animals.
• Night walks searching for nocturnal animals and insects.
• Visits to the local but remote village of San Juan
• Canoeing on hand made Amazonian canoes along the tributaries and nearby lakes
• Fishing for Piranha in the rivers and lakes
• Birdwatching trips
• Swimming in the mighty Amazon
• Camping out deep in the jungle
• Walks to the high rainforest
• Swimming in the lakes
• Trip to a sandy beach on an Amazonian island
• Visits the massive water lilies
• Search for the pre-historic looking Hoatzin birds
• Caiman sightseeing at night
• Tarantula hunting (very optional!)
• Boat trips to see the beautiful and spectacular Amazon sunsets and sunrises.
• Relaxing in one of the lodges many hammocks (no guide provided for this activity!)